Sunday, October 09, 2005

Finding the right words to say

Havent been able to post in a while. Not really because nothing blogworthy happened during these past weeks, but more because the 3 conditions of the blogging framework never really came up - 1) Me doing nothing, 2) Me sitting relaxed in front of my PC, 3) Me doing nothing. All three must exist!

There have been some recent developments in my tenure at my present company. I have been actively looking for a "better" job for quite sometime now. "Better" is really a very relative word since a lot of things are really ok here right now. I dont think it's very entertaining to go through my entire list, but there are a couple of things that really stand out:

  • First, is the way my bosses handle their relationship with me. I've been with several companies already, and this is the first time that I've really been able to talk to my boss... not talk as in business talk, but real talk as in a colleague to another.


  • Another first for me, is the fact that they actually let me do my job. Most bosses treat you like a megaphone, and you are only good for being an extension of whatever whim or wish they might have. If there is a problem, this is what you do. Something came up, execute these steps. You aren't worth anything more than a button that they can push.

    They, however really understand the word "empowerment" to the very core. If there is a problem, I handle it the way I see fit... and they support me all the way. In other words, my opinion really weighs a lot since I am the one that is at ground zero. Of course there are consultations with them, specially if there are major issues, but as the Project Manager, they really make it a point that I really am the owner of the project.

  • I have also been friends with them during my current stint here, and have actually gotten along very well with all of my other colleagues around the region. Whenever we converged in Singapore, we would go out and have drinks and everyone genuinely seemed to enjoy spending after office hours with everybody. My bosses have actually been impressed since a lot of the technical engineers are the eccentric types and usually prefer retiring to the recluse of their apartments and watch anime until I came in and started succesfully herding everybody out.

It is with a heavy heart that I will be leaving my company. I've been trying to organize my thoughts on how I plan to inform them, but I havent really been able to form the usual coherent and eloquent composition that they are so used to hearing from me. The only thing I know is, there really is no tip-toeing my way around it so I should just be upfront with it and say it. I can't really lie to them and tell them a convenient reason... I owe them the truth. Nothing that would insult or piss them off of course, something accurate but still a bit neutral. What else is there to say? I feel that it's time for me to move on... That's it. *sigh*

Rule of thumb dictates that I wait for a good offer from another employer before I blow the whistle, but so far the offers I've been getting are shite to so-so. More importantly, my boss has been asking me to do some stuff with "long-term" implications (which obviously I cannot do), and they are beginning to wonder why I have not been complying. I can't keep mum about it while I blatantly ignore my responsibilities, I have to tell them now. I guess the good offer will have to follow...

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.xanga.com/gboy2k5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home