Monday, January 09, 2006

Date with my Wife

I haven't been out with my wife for a long time. When I say out, I mean a date where there's only the two of us. Of course we go to malls, watch movies, but never really anything like we used to do like young couples do and go to hip places and do whatever kids do these days.

I got stood up by friends Saturday night, so I called the wife and told her I'd take her to greenbelt and just chill. Her reaction was basically "...and do what?" So we finally went there, and for the first 20 minutes or so we had a problem figuring out which establishment to walk in to and what to actually do. She didnt want to drink, she didnt want to listen to live music, and she didnt want to sit with all the expats below at Cafe Havana. So we decided to eat. Oody's isnt really your fine dining choice, heck its not even the best asian cuisine I've been in, and the Pad Thai isn't even close to the real Pad Thai I got used to. But it's ok I guess. Mostly through dinner she was criticizing the food, and as usual I ended up having to finish whatever she ordered. We didnt really do much after that, called it a night around midnight.

Things get different when you already know people too much, specially since when you get married you realize that there are really a lot of things that you dont like about the person and vice versa. But marriage is marriage, and family is family and you do love each other, not to mention the fact that you have a daughter together. Is it true that familiarity breeds contempt? I think so. The trick is trying to control the effects of it. Chris Rock really was dead on with his joke when he said that there comes a time when you've heard everything the other person has to say, and you just wanna stab her in the throat with a pencil.

How do you keep a relationship new, specially a married one? I envy people who can seem to maintain the enthusiasm of their married life. But then again, it may all be just perspective and a projected image. Is it all a myth? Or is it just learning to deal and live with all of it? Maybe some people are better at accepting things, both good and bad, and then maybe some people are smarter than that and actually do something about it.

I think it was good that we got a chance to go out again. I am not really sure how we can enjoy it like we used to, but I guess spending some time with each other really is worth its own weight in gold. Just dont ask me on a bad day. I've read somewhere that young poeple go through life hoping to change the world, and old people just want to understand it. Am I that old?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home