Saturday, July 01, 2006

Jumping ship again

It's almost 5:00 AM here at our Makati Office and am pretty much back at doing nothing. Well ok maybe not entirely nothing. I was working till about 2:30 AM and then we played tong-its the rest of the morning. People here at the office have a renewed sense of negligence and disregard for work ethic. Specially when almost everybody opened up that they had plans of leaving. I was offered by my boss to move to Florida and be based there, of course this meant recalibrating my salary to US standards and having the chance to move my family to the west.

I used to be excited about it. The problem is, I've already been there and pretty much know what to expect and have lived what would be waiting for me if in fact I transfer. The company's stability is seriously questionable. The owner's favorite word is visibility when what it really means is he wants to micro-manage every fucking thing in the company. One of my colleagues (a fellow Senior Project Manager) who was initially promised a transfer to the US as well has now been reversed. He has actually been retrenched! What the fuck was that?

When I met with the owner, I made a very good impression with him and the rest of the senior management. But his penchance for faltering and wooly decisions plus the precedent before me that he has often changed boats mid stream has made all this proposition a very risky one. Am I gonna be the next flavor of the month? I don't think I wanna gamble on it and stay.

Besides, the phone interview that I had when I was in the US surprisingly turned out to be a fruitful one. This was initially the one that was late, and was starting to piss me off. And when we finally talked, I wasn't really looking so I was carelessly asking for the heavens when they asked for my expectations. It turns out the boss really liked me and even knew of my previous company's reputation in the asia pacific region. They eventually gave me an offer and matched almost all my bogus requests and only declined one of my original conditions on the car plan. The only thing I need to worry about now is the background check. The headhunter told me that I shouldn't worry unless I've taken candy from a candy store before without paying for it. I told him not to worry... coz no one saw me, or at least I think no one did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home