Friday, October 14, 2005

Facing the music

Last saturday I was finally able to withstand 2 games of full court basketball without pussying out and asking for substitution. It was great. Felt good to know that stamina has picked up a little bit and now I feel that my game is starting to get back to what it was back in the day. Still can't jump high enough to reach the ring with both my hands, but the shooting has definitely improved. The only thing I need to watch out for is to not give in to the temptation of playing competitively again. If I can do that, I think I can continue to enjoy being able to exercise and play... without the injuries.

After resting for about 2 hours, off I went to my friend's bday drinking celebration. Been friends with this guy since highschool and his place was were we would usually drink (more on that some other time) till the wee hours of the morning. But that was years ago. I knew that I couldn't go drinking head to head with these guys anymore because I really don't drink that much anymore... well ok, I don't drink that much when I'm that far away from home. Besides, I was really still physically tired.

We also used to have a band in highschool so when I got there, they already had everything plugged in and laid out ready to play. Guitars, bass, drums, and even a mic stand. I haven't really picked up a guitar in years but what better alibi for not getting pissed drunk than to just play and jam the whole night? Besides, they're not gonna make sure you're drinking your bottle of beer when your busy playing right? And so we did a lot of the old school stuff, and basically everything else that we could play... even daring to try on the newer songs. It's nothing worth a grammy nomination, but we didn't sound that bad either. Really. We had a blast and I actually didn't feel tired at all.

I have to say, it really made me realize how much I missed playing some music and just goofing around. Also made me realize that I shouldn't have completely stopped playing the guitar. Maybe I can't do this everyday anymore, but being able to do it once in a while should be more than enough now. Besides, I've long accepted the fact that we probably will never end up in the cover of Rolling Stones magazine.

And so starts my new inspiration to play the guitar once again. Not to get laid more than the average guy this time though, but just for the pure fun of it. We'll see what we can do about those riffs and licks. I'm sure these rusty hands still have some juice left in them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home