Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Work stuff

I have updated all my project reports. Already submitted my billable hours for last week, and most of everything else that is pending won't be in till tomorrow.

I have this side project I'm supposed to complete this week. I need to to write a payroll program for a company and I am even too fucking bored to continue writing the codes. This kind of stuff will usually only take about 2 days if I just sit on it, but alas... it has now been 3 weeks and I have only completed probably about 30%. Who the hell looks forward to making data entry forms anyway? User Interface design is such a fucking crappy task!

[Listening to my playlist of Gypsy Kings just loop on and on for about 3 hours now]

I could probably go out, grab a few beers and go back after several hours or just shortly before my shift ends. But who do I go with? The rest of the people here arent privileged to do that.

Earlier, I just figured out that Mr. Know-it-all, who has always been yammering about his previous big projects... didn't know where the windows hosts file was. I mean... how the fuck do you go on handling servers and databases without knowing that? Probably been living off some of his guys who are more technical than him. But then, who gives a shit anyway? As long as he doesnt interfere with any of my deliverables... I can live with his ignorant ass just a cubicle away from me. I must admit though, his constant questions of what needs to be done next with his projects is starting to get annoying as well.

Some of the questions are so stupid like;

"Our boss is asking if we already have a contract for this project, what do I say?"

or

"How do I ask for an effort estimate from the teams?"

and even

"You think I should call the client about this?"

I understand that to some other IT guys, these might not come naturally but not for someone who is supposed to manage projects. In most cases, I have to actually coach him with what needs to be done next. They tell me that they hired him because of the tech and data analysis background... and not so much of the PM skills. The rationale was because he was mostly gonna handle internal projects. But now they are starting to trickle down external projects to him. So what now? Do I have to fucking mentor him? The break in I got from the existing PMs when I started here was very simple. Only about 3 weeks of giving me a head's up on how the PMO process works here, who the assholes and who the helpful ones are. And then I was on my own. So who died and made this guy a baby?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home